Sunday, September 20, 2009

Review: Stone - Vertical Epic 09.09.09



Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale
ABV: 8.90%

Ever since I heard about this one a few months back, I was intrigued. Heavy on chocolate malts, with vanilla and tangerine peel added. Sounds like an awesome orange and chocolate combination. The final product doesn't quite live up to my lofty expectations, but it is still very good nevertheless.

Very dark, pruney-brown, massive head that emerges makes for a slow pour. Smells almost like coffee, which is strange - almost harsh, but in a pleasing way. Not sure if it's the heavy chocolate malts doing it, interacting with it in a strange way. Taste is very similar - almost harsh, but not quite, in a pleasant way. Heavier hopped than a typical Belgian Dark, which for Stone is far less than normal :) It's far more dense than a typical Belgian Dark, though, doesn't have the ephervescent smoothness or velvety texture in the mouth. For my own sanity, I'm calling this a Belgian Stout, even though it isn't really. But the slightly astringent malt makes me think of that - roasty and chocolatey, with Belgian candied sugars. The orange doesn't come through really, which is a shame, I'd like for it to be balancing a lot better with the chocolate. The vanilla adds a light, lofty sweetness to the endgame. It's very drinkable for what it is, and that is to its credit. It's just not quite at the balance I'd like to see. I'll be buying more of this to drink and squirrel away for sure, and we'll see how it evolves.

A: 3.5/5
S: 11/15
T: 41/50
M: 11.5/15
D: 12/15

Total: 78%

No comments:

Post a Comment