Sunday, September 13, 2009

Review: Otter Creek - Russian Imperial Stout


Style: Russian Imperial Stout
ABV: 10.60%

I love imperial stouts to death, and after sampling this one at American Craft Beer Fest, I had to pick it up when i saw it. It doesn't disappoint. Pours jet black, pure onyx. Nice inch and a half of coacoey head, soupy and mirky, mysterious and inviting. Smell is a bit harsher than I was expecting, in that it almost is more of a pure-coffee smell. Heavy on the roastiness, seems light on the bitterness, which is always a plus. Tasting confirms my expectation - an imperial stout that is light on hops, rich and roasty, and an easy drinker. Coffee doesn't come out so much as in the nose, more chocolatey notes. The label says they used brown sugar, which I can taste the effects of. Sweeter than a lot of imperial stouts without being cloying, rich all the way through, and a little less viscous. Just the right balance. It isn't the most complex or amazing imperial stout, but it is damn good. The richness just lingered on as I went to bed, I love when I can taste a beer for an hour after I'm done. There is zero evidence of the high ABV, wich could get you in trouble if you aren't careful. I doubt Otter Creek is up to anything else of this quality.

A: 4/5
S: 12/15
T: 45/50
M: 13/15
D: 14/15

Total: 88%

No comments:

Post a Comment