Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!

Once again I have a buttload of reviews to do, which I'll get to in a minute. In the meantime, here's my Top 3 Pumpkin beers at the moment.

1) Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin - I've not had this one yet this season, but I thoroughly enjoyed it last season. The perfect balance for me, light spicing and pumpkin flavors, with a ton of malt so that it tastes like beer still. Just a bit on the darker side. I'd love to age some, see how it turns out.

2) Southern Tier Pumpking - If you're looking for authentic pumpkin flavor, this is it. Look no farther. Like Pumkin Pie in a glass, intense, pumkiny, spicey, boozey. Has just a bit of soapiness to it from the pumpkin skins that go in it. Not the most balanced beer, but still tasty.

3) Dogfish Head Pumpkin - Another darker-ish pumpkin beer that's light on the pumpkin. Spicing is a little more prevalent, but with a bit of age it mellows out quite nicely. Possibly the best value for a good pumpkin beer, at ~$10/4pk.

Honorable Mention:

The Bruery Autumn Maple - Brewed with yams instead of pumpkins. But an awesome Belgian Dark Ale. It takes a bit to get past the smell, for whatever reason, their Dark Ale yeast strain smells kind of soapy and metallic. But it tastes delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment